PRACTICE PROFILE: Karen Consalo, J.D.

In News
PRACTICE PROFILE: Karen Consalo, J.D.
Dr. Karen Consalo

I am able to bring current real world experiences into the classroom to get students interested in these fields.”

Name, Title: Karen Consalo, Lecturer

Area of Legal Expertise: Environmental Law, Property Law, Government Law

Professional Background: My first job was with the nationwide law firm of Akerman Senterfitt as a commercial litigator.  I quickly realized that my interest lay more in government law than in commercial litigation.  During law school at the University of Florida, I had interned for both the Florida Supreme Court and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and really enjoyed that work.  So I accepted a position with Seminole County as an in-house attorney.  At Seminole County, I handled all conservation and development work, as well as some litigation and appellate work.  When I was offered a position a few years later with the “big city” of Orlando, I accepted.  During my time with Orlando, I continued to practice law in the fields of land development and natural resource protection.  Eventually, I opened my own boutique law firm which specializes in smart urban development.  I represent individuals, community groups, and developers in creating innovative development projects which enhance the Central Florida community.  I also serve as a Special Magistrate to a local Florida town which allows me to directly impact land use and improve that community.

Relevance to UCF and Central Florida: Many of my classes focus on environmental and property law.  I do not like teaching in a vacuum or an ivory tower, I want my students’ experience to have real world applicability.  Because of my extensive and ongoing work in property, government and environmental law, I am able to bring current real world experiences into the classroom to get students interested in these fields.

Start typing and press Enter to search