PRACTICE PROFILE: Eric Merriam, J.D.

In News
PRACTICE PROFILE: Eric Merriam, J.D.
Dr. Eric Merriam

I provide legal advice to the military representatives from the 29 NATO member nations regarding international law.”

Name, Title: Eric Merriam, Associate Professor

Area of Legal Expertise: National Security and Military Law

Professional Background: After law school, I practiced law for a couple of years at an international corporate law firm and, while it was intellectually challenging and interesting, it was not the type of work that I wanted to spend my career doing. I then joined the [U.S.] Air Force as a judge advocate. Though there are a number of different specialties, lawyers in the military are always practicing “military law.” I am a full-time associate professor at UCF, but still have a part-time law practice as a reservist in the United States Air Force Judge Advocate General’s Corps. As a reservist, I’m currently assigned as a legal advisor to the international Military Committee at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, where I provide legal advice to the military representatives from the 29 NATO member nations regarding international law, especially in the law of armed conflict.

Relevance to UCF and Central Florida: My research areas are national security law, especially the military aspect, and constitutional law, particularly focusing on the president and Congress’ national security and authority. My practice informs relevant scholarship and teaching based on a current and real understanding of legal issues. My community is the world community, not just Central Florida. I think it is fair to say national security affects us all. Orlando has a significant military/veteran population, too, and a lot of my work involves veterans.

Start typing and press Enter to search