In the Department of Health Management and Informatics at the University of Central Florida, we have students from three different programs that must fulfill internship requirements. The undergraduate Health Services Administration program, the graduate Health Services Administration program, and the graduate Health Care Informatics program require that students complete an internship in order to gain hands-on field experience. Preceptors who work with our interns in their health care organizations are vital to our students’ success!
As an internship site, your organization must:
- Provide interns with learning opportunities
- Provide interns with an appropriate orientation of your organization’s policies and procedures
- Provide necessary office space and support to carry out assigned tasks
- Designate the name(s) of employee(s) who will coordinate the educational field experience of our interns and be “preceptors” during the time frame that the student is with the organization.
As a preceptor, you must:
- Work with the intern to develop a work schedule
- Assist the intern with designing a “work product” of which the student can take ownership. The work product must be of sufficient complexity and must have significance to your organization and/or to health care in general.
- Assign tasks that meet both the organization’s goals and the intern’s professional needs.
- Evaluate the student based on his/her contributions to the organization and on his/her final “work product.”
- Complete an assessment of the intern and his/her work product, discussing them both with the intern.
- Finalize and sign the intern’s required forms.
In your role as a mentor, you should:
- Be available to the intern, meeting with him/her on a weekly (or regularly scheduled basis) and as needed.
- Familiarize the intern to the personnel with whom he/she will be working.
- Exposed the intern to various departments and opportunities within the organization, stressing the administrative functions of each.
- Create a motivating and learning environment for the intern.
If your organization would like to serve as an Affiliated Internship Site to host our student interns, or if you would like to schedule an informational presentation, please contact Ingrid Mariano by phone, 407-823-0552, or by email at Ingrid.Mariano@ucf.edu.