- Born and grew up in Massachusetts
- Earned Eagle Scout Award
- Studied at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
- Received the Educational Leadership for Civic Responsibility Award
- Named Student of the Year
- Graduated with a B.A. in Sociology/Criminal Justice Concentration and minored in Business Information Systems
- Traveled throughout the Southeastern United States serving the community in areas of environmental, education, and unmet human needs with AmeriCorps*NCCC
- Completed over 1,800 hours of community service
- Awarded the Bronze Congressional Medal of Honor
- Served Annawon Council as Senior District Executive Oct. 2005-2009
- Started as District Executive in 2005 and promoted to Senior District Executive in 2009
- Fundraised $135,000 annually through events, individual solicitations, & popcorn sales
- Managed summer camp budget of approximately $133,000; ran camp in surplus each year
- Completed two years of graduate school at UMASS Dartmouth
- Managed LEADS (Leadership for Educational Attainment Developed through Service) program
- Commendation from MA Governor Deval Patrick with UMD LEADS affiliate schools
- Massachusetts Department of Higher Education 29 Who Shine Award
- Graduated with a Master’s in Public Policy, 2011
- Earned a certificate in Nonprofit Management and Leadership
- Certified Nonprofit Professional (CNP)
- Studied at University of Central Florida to earn terminal degree
- Community Service Graduate Assistant, Office of Student Involvement
- Heart of Florida United Way Community Volunteer Excellence Award: Outstanding Faith/Student/Civic Group,
- Graduate Leadership Award at the 12th Annual Service-Learning Showcase at UCF
- Graduate Research “Best in Education” Award at the Graduate Research Forum at UCF
- Earned doctorate of education (Ed.D.) – Higher Education & Policy Studies, 2015
- Contracted in Office of Student Involvement to assist with community engagement projects, 2015-2016
- Currently Programs Coordinator in COHPA’s Center for Community Partnerships, 2017-present
- UCF College of Education Community Engagement Council
- Founding Advisor and current member of AmeriCorps Alums Orlando Chapter
- Member of Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN) Orlando
Campbell, L.O., Truitt, J.H., Herlihy, C.P., & Plante, J.D. (2017). A thematic analysis of leadership
qualities of women leadership in technology: Viewed through social media. In V.C.X. Wang (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Strategic Leadership and Management (pp. 1-15). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Plante, J.D., Murray, L.I., & Cox, T.D. (2017). More lessons without borders: A qualitative study of
international service-learning. In V.C.X. Wang (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Strategic Leadership and Management (pp. 1408-1426). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Truitt, J.H., Plante, J.D., Cox, T.D., & Robinson, S.L. (2017). Strategic leadership: Developing 21st century
citizens who invest their time, talent, and treasure in the service of others. In V.C.X. Wang (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Strategic Leadership and Management (pp. 1637-1654). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Plante, J.D., & Cox, T. D. (2016). Integrating interview methodology to analyze inter-institutional
comparisons of service-learning within the Carnegie Community Engagement Classification framework. The Journal of Academic Administration in Higher Education, 12(1), 65-72.
Plante, J., & Truitt, J. (2016). Building community through mentoring adult learners. In K. Elufiede & B.
Flynn (Eds.) The Adult Higher Education Alliance Proceedings, 36(1), (pp. 35-49). Minneola, FL: AHEA.
Retrieved from https://eric.ed.gov/?q=AHEA&id=ED569961
Plante, J. (2016). The conflict of commodification in higher education. ALJ in Student Research, 4. Retrieved
Murray, L.I., Plante, J.D., Cox, T.D., & Owens, T. (2015). Service-Learning: Creating Opportunities
to Expand Students’ Worldviews. Journal of Learning in Higher Education, 11(2), 51-58.
Plante, J.D., Currie, T.J., & Olson, S.L. (2014). Volunteer UCF: Igknighting Volunteerism. In T.A.Bryer (Ed.)
National Service and Volunteerism: Achieving Impact in Our Communities (pp. 89-101). Lanham, MD: Lexington Books: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group.
Neira, A. & Plante, J.D. (2014). City Year history, model, and impact. In T.A.Bryer (Ed.) National Service and
Volunteerism: Achieving Impact in Our Communities (pp. 147-160). Lanham, MD: Lexington Books: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group.
Cox, T., Murray, L., & Plante, J.D. (2014). Undergraduate student diversity paradigm expansion: The role of
international service-learning. International Forum of Teaching and Studies, 10(1), 3-13. Retrieved from http://www.americanscholarspress.com/content/IFOTS-One-2014.pdf
- Service-Learning / Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- citizen engagement
- Civic Engagement
- community based research
- civil rights
- human rights
- group work
- nonprofit management